Marjolaine - 33 - road and trail runner, outdoors lover, Pilates fan, new triathlon lover, happy to share my sports related adventures with you - French girl back in California!
I truly got into sports while living in New York City. I landed there in June 2010 and stayed for a year and a half. I'd always fantasized about runners in Central Park. So, I made a deal with myself to become one of them: go for a run in Central Park, at least once a week. To live the American way, I worked up the courage to sign up for a gym membership. I never regretted it. I persistently used the machines for strength training, once or twice a week. I loved trying out various fitness classes (Pilates, urban rebounding, spinning, different kinds of yoga). I stuck to Pilates. I truly got into yoga thanks to the free classes, in summer, in Bryant Park.
As for running, I didn’t wait to live in NYC to run. But, it is in NYC that I became serious about it, went running regularly and started signing up for races. I ran my first race in Central Park, in June 2011. Perfect way to get addicted!
Back in France (and back to my better half aka "the playboy"), in November 2011, I found a Pilates and yoga studio. I carried on running and it became a part of my life. But, something was missing. I missed the USA: the positivism, this feeling of endless possibilities. So, we decided to find a way to move to the USA. But, this time, together.
In January 2014, we settled down in a Californian town, North of Los Angeles. We loved our life there. Unfortunately, immigration is not an easy process, so we had to go back to France, in August 2015. The playboy's job decided on our new city: Montpellier, not far from the Mediterranean Sea. We stayed there until October 2016... before going back to California (for good this time)!
I create my own training plans, generally based on a goal race: marathon, trail race or triathlon. Not too many races, but I enjoy it this way.
8K (5 miles):
- 5 miles, Portugal Day, NYC, June 2011: 00:42:41
- La course des Princesses, Running tour de Versailles, France, July 2012: 00:40:07
- Les foulées des Sacres, Reims, France, June 2013: 00:36:46
- Half marathons:
- Valley Crest half marathon, Tarzana, CA, June 2014: 01:44:47
- Bandit Ultra Trail Run 30K (recap: [1/2] - [2/2]), Simi Valley, CA, February 2015: 03:02:25 - 2nd woman overall
- Holcomb Valley Trail Run 15 miles, Big Bear Lake, CA, June 2015: 02:00:59 - 1st woman overall / 3rd overall
- Kodiak Ultra Marathons 50 miles, Big Bear Lake, CA, August 2017: 13:15:00
- Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon, Olympic Distance, Ventura, CA, June 2015: 02:44:39 [SWIM 00:36:11 - T1 00:02:48 - BIKE 01:22:09 - T2 00:01:38 - RUN 00:41:50]